This post may contain affiliate links that allow us to earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Jekyll Island is a beautiful barrier island off the coast of Georgia, midway between Jacksonville, Florida, and Savannah, Georgia. It is considered one of the golden isles of Georgia, which includes St. Simons Island, Sea Island, and Little St. Simons Island. It’s a perfect destination for those looking for a relaxing and scenic beach vacation. With miles of pristine beaches, natural wildlife preserves, gorgeous views of the Atlantic Ocean, marshlands, and a rich history, Jekyll Island is a hidden gem that offers something for everyone.
What to Do in Jekyll Island
- Visit Driftwood Beach
- Take a stroll along this picturesque beach and enjoy the twisted and gnarled live oak trees covered in Spanish moss. It’s a great place for photography and beachcombing.
- Relax on the Beach
- Explore Jekyll Island National Historic Landmark District
- Learn about the island’s history and see the restored turn-of-the-century cottages
- Visit the museum
- This museum showcases the island’s history and is an excellent place for families to learn about the island’s past.
- Play at Summer Waves Water Park
- This water park features several water slides, a lazy river, and a kiddie pool, making it a great destination for families with children.
- Play Tennis at the Tennis Center
- Go on a dolphin-watching tour.
- Take a boat tour and catch a glimpse of the island’s resident dolphins swimming in the wild.
- Go Kayaking
- Go on a sea turtle walk
- On a guided tour of the island’s sea turtle beach, learn about sea turtles and their nesting habits.
- Play Golf
- The island is home to several golf courses, including the Jekyll Island Golf Club, one of the oldest golf clubs in the United States.
- Take a bike ride
- Explore miles of bike paths perfect for families to explore. Rent a bike at Jekyll Wheels and take a leisurely ride around the island.
- Visit the Georgia Sea Turtle Center
- This conservation center is dedicated to rehabilitating sea turtles and offers educational programs for families.
- Enjoy a picnic at the Great Dunes Park:
- This is a great spot to pack lunch and enjoy a picnic
- Explore Horton House and Pond
- Yearly events
- Shrimp & Grits Festival
- Turtle Crawl, which benefits the Georgia Sea Turtle Center
Fun Fact: Jekyll was purchased by Georgia’s State Government. Upon purchase, the name was changed to Jekyll Island State Park.
Top 4 Resorts On Jekyll Island
- Jekyll Island Beach Club Resort
- Member of Historic Hotels of America
- This gorgeous hotel was a preferred meeting spot for the Vanderbilts, Morgans, Pulitzers, and Rockefellers.
- Offers 6 Restaurants
- 40 oversized suites with gorgeous ocean views
- Bike rental, onsite bike trails
- Beachfront amenities
- Two pools
- Clubhouse croquet field
- The Westin Jekyll Island
- Beachfront outdoor pool
- Fitness Center
- Three dining options and a grab-n-go cafe
- Courtyard by Marriott
- 2 Dining Options
- Outdoor Pool
- The Beachview Club
- 38 room boutique hotel
- Pool & fire pits
These are just a few of the many things families can do on Jekyll Island. It is an excellent destination for a family vacation with its many beaches, historical sites, and outdoor activities.